Thursday, March 19, 2015

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars




"Uptown Funk!" is unbelievably terrible. I don't know if I'm just being a totally close minded jerk about it, but damn, the first time I heard it, all I thought was who is taking a dump on James Brown's grave? This song is first credited to Mark Ronson, who is a DJ and producer with many famous artists on his portfolio. He's worked with many random artists such as Amy Winehouse (R.I.P.), Adele, Foreigner (who include Ronson's step-dad, Mick Jones) and even Black Lips.  Bruno Mars supplies the vocals and songwriting credits along with Ronson, Jeff Bhasker and Philip Lawrence. Mars is a modern work radio station favorite, with at least two songs on rotation at my current job. I had mentioned in another post about "Locked Out Of Heaven", which I used to hear clips of at my old Target job. I'm sure he's a kool dude, etc but man, I'm always less than impressed by his musical efforts but I haven't seen any of his performances to be fair. They also play "When I Was Your Man" at work, in which he belts his best Michael Jackson impersonation. It sorta grates on my nerves, the vocal delivery, because the verses are sung LOUD and then quiet. For example, he says, "I SHOULD'VE BOUGHT YOU...flowers/SHOULD'VE GIVEN YOU ALL MY...hours"

As far as "Uptown" is concerned, it sounds a hell of a lot like Arsenio Hall's gawd-awful music project called "Chunky A". It's basically a terrible parody of Cameo. Haven't heard of it? Check out the "25 Lamest Videos" version of it below. 

I appreciate the efforts made on this song, but damn, there's just so many more superior examples of funk music. I think also this being heard while I'm at work is hurting its appeal for me. The video definitely improves this song, which pumps up the theatricality of the 1980s throwback style they seem to be going for. I'd suggest as far as modern funk and R&B goes, to check out the Daptone Records discography. Funny enough, Ronson worked with Daptone artist, The Dap-Kings on Amy Winehouse's "Back In Black" record. I'm not sure why "Uptown" doesn't sound anything like that though. I'm more into the 1960s/1970s funk sound, though Ronson is going for more 1980s. For me, 1980s R&B, is somewhat spotty. There's Prince and others that are super fun though. Here's some good funk songs that I really like below, enjoy! 
Also, there's an interesting comment section on "Uptown Funk"'s WhoSampled.com entry

1 comment:

  1. When I first heard it my thought was they ripped off a Kool and the Gang tune and combined it with the Gap Band's "Oops upside your head."

    ReplyDelete