Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Train, Phillip Phillips




I had three days off in a row (*whew!*), but today I have to go back to work (boo). There's two songs that they play at work that have almost the exact same "whoaaaa" type harmony sung. It took me awhile to figure out who sang one of these songs because there's so many newer groups they play on The Blend that I've never heard of. Hopefully these songs eventually go away, but I know there's a few songs that I still hear and remember hearing when they were new. One example that I need to cover is anything by Faith Hill or Shania Twain. Ugh, the worst! This time though, I'm covering "Angel In Blue Jeans" by Train and "Home" by Phillip Phillips.

Train dominates the station at my job, even though as far as I know, they only play two of their songs, over and over. "Drive By" is another crap-fest by them that I'll hear at least 3 times a day. "Angel In Blue Jeans" is also played constantly. There's only one redeeming quality to this song is the two second twang of surf guitar thrown in there randomly. Train's biggest hit is probably "Drops Of Jupiter" which I always thought was total rip off of "Don't Go Away" by Oasis, whom I'm not that a big fan of either, but I'd rather hear them than Train.

Train is a terrible band from San Francisco, who formed in 1993. According to the Wikipedia I skimmed, their songs have been used in tons of TV, movies and commercials. They're also responsible for other horrible songs such as "Soul Sister", "Calling All Angels", and others I'm probably not aware of. Make this band go away already.

Phillip Phillips I just learned is a winner from TV show "American Idol", basically the resurgence of 1980s talent show, "Star Search". It's good to see some success from those kinds of shows that promise so much, yet deliver so little. There's very few winners that have careers for themselves (Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, etc), at least as far I know, I stopped watching many years ago. Apparently, the best way to succeed from that show is to not win (Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert, Daughtry, etc) because many of the contestants who didn't have actually done better for themselves. From what I've heard its because the contract they're signing onto is extremely rigid. I believe the same can be said for other competition type shows like "Project Runway" and "America's Next Top Model". It seems like the emotional roller coaster people put themselves through to win just doesn't pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment