Monday, March 30, 2015

It's Too Late - Gloria Estefan (1994)

UGH, I HATE


I really hate this cover because I love the Carole King original:

It's such a sad, yet sorta sweet sounding song. Gloria Estefan's vocal delivery is cold and unfeeling at best. I mean frankly, "something has died" alright, the emotion that was in this song. Her sing-speak of "I just can't fake it" just makes me want to throw tomatoes at her Fozzie Bear style. It just comes off as super lazy and distracted. I wondered if she was mentally somewhere else when she recorded it. Maybe she had her mind on something else. "Did I lock the front door?", "did I turn the oven off before I left the house?". She sounds so vacant from the song, just devoid of any sadness that the song originally evokes. This is yet another example of singers who don't know what they're singing about. It's also an example of older songs that can't fit into "The Blend's" time frame but the newer cover is acceptable. Other violators of such magnitude are Seal (Al Green's "Let's Stay Together"), Annie Lennox (Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "I Put A Spell On You"), and Michael McDonald (Van Morrison's "Moondance"). All of these are just gawd-awful!

3 comments: